Monday, June 23, 2014

Whey Protein Mug Cake

Mug cakes are lovely, single serving cakes that are easy to prep and take less than 2 minutes to "bake" in the microwave.  Perfect for a late night snack, but I've even had them for breakfast.

I will show you some photos of mug cakes I've made recently because the batter base is the same, I just change up the flavorings and sauces.






I have been really into casein protein powders lately so in the future you'll see some casein mug cakes too.  But these photos are of whey mug cakes.

Whey Protein Mug Cake:
1 scoop (34g) Cellucor whey (any flavor)
1/4 c (28g) almond flour
1 egg white
1/8 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 Tbs granulated sweetener
1/4 cup (eyeballing) almond milk
Optional: spices, extracts

Stir to combine.  Pour into an oversized mug (sprayed with nonstick spray) and put into microwave on high for about 1 minute 45 seconds, pausing 1-2 times if it looks like it's going to overflow.
Flip over onto serving plate/bowl and top with any sauce /toppings you like.
Do not overcook - it will become dry.

Macros for the cake:
16g fat
61 carbs
38 protein
3g fiber

It's relatively high fat, but you can always substitute the almond flour for a low fat flour.  I've seen recipes using banana and/or applesauce.  Other substitutions: I prefer Cellucor whey, but I'm sure they'll all do well.  In my experience, Cellucor cooks up the most tender of the wheys I've tried - others seem to get too dry and lose flavor… cardboard mug cakes are no bueno.

My sauces are usually high in fat because I plan these cakes in as dessert, so I go all out with cookie butter and fluff, marshmallows, chocolate chips, oreos… you get the picture :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment