Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Changes!

Holy cow! A LOT has happened in the past year.  We moved to Florida!

Joe got a great job and it meant moving to the Florida Keys.  Wow.  Never did we think that we'd end up here but it's beautiful.  Far away, sure.  The family hates the distance, and I get pangs of homesickness but it's what we had to do.  I have no job yet and it's difficult because "the season" here is January through April, and they start hiring in November I hear.  Oh, and I also don't have a car. hahaha it's not fun being cooped up while Joe's at work.  But there are plusses: Joe travels for work, and when he does I get his car.  Also, it's so hot all the time and there's very little to do, so it's not like I'm missing much by not having a vehicle.  And current gas prices are $4.15 last I checked.

Joe drove our stuff down in a rented truck, but I had to fly down with Sienna.  Have I mentioned she is an awful traveler?  She did not vomit, but on the flight from Hyannis to Boston she pooped in her carrier, but I was prepared with two sets of puppy pads on the bottom of her carrier.  Boston to Miami was the long ride and she cried every twenty minutes or so, but I couldn't move her carrier from under the seat so I just spoke to her and stuck a hand in every so often to pet her.  My rowmates were two teenage Argentinian girls who thought she was the cutest.  I let them pet her when the flight was over.

The layover in Miami was great for her.  She was mentally exhausted I could tell - she hadn't slept at all, and when I opened the cage to give her some air she stayed huddled in there.  Speaking of that, I was so anxious about having to take her out of the cage every time we went through security, but she did well.  I had her harness on and a leash, and she clung to me when we went through the beeper, and couldn't wait to get back into the safety of the cage.  Funny though, I had to shake her out, upending the whole carrier to get her out in the first place! I thought she was going to run away but she was perfect!



Miami to Key West was a very small plane, like the Cape plane, but this time it was HOT and HUMID and she was not a happy camper.  She was constantly smooshing her face against the mesh, trying to get out.  I couldn't help but put the carrier onto my lap to try to soothe her as best as I could.  The passengers in front of me weren't cat lovers apparently.  They had no sympathy for her constant cries and writhing...instead, they downloaded iPhone cat noises and played them, laughing.

*deep breath.  But we made it.  She is feeling very "at home" here and loves the house but is struggling with her potty training. #1 is always perfect, #2 has been on the floor lately...


No comments:

Post a Comment