Saturday, November 3, 2012

Low Calorie Hummus

Wow! I stumbled upon a great hummus recipe that I adapted to fit my own lower-calorie needs.  It is SUPER easy to make, and I took a couple liberties as you'll see, because I forgot to pick up different ingredients.  This is a must-try recipe.

The best part: it cost me NOTHING to make, since I had all the ingredients on hand, but you can find a can of garb. beans for $1.

I have not taken a photo, but I plan on making this often, so someday I'll upload one :-)

Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans (15.5 oz)
1 large clove garlic
approx 1 oz lemon juice (fresh is best)
1 tbs Reduced fat creamy peanut butter
2 tsp Sesame seeds
2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
basil leaves
pinch Spanish smoked paprika
1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt to taste

Back story. I was looking up low calorie hummus recipes and I found one omitting the high fat and calorie tahini and instead using RF peanut butter and/or sesame oil.  I ran out of sesame oil and forgot to pick up more, so I thought I'd buzz up some sesame seeds with peanut butter and EVOO and see if good flavor happens.  Long story short: it's delicious.

Directions:
Drain garbanzo beans and save liquid.  In a food processor, add sesame seeds, oil, garbanzo beans, peanut butter, and salt. Process until chunky.  Add the rest of the ingredients (as much basil as you like) and process, adding reserved canning liquid by the teaspoon to help thin it out until desired consistency.
Yields approximately 10 servings of approx 1/4 cup.

Compared to Sabra (which is delicious), we lose 40% of the calories and 83% of the fat with this recipe per 4 tbs serving. Enjoy with your favorite veggies, or use 1 tbs in place of mayo on your sandwich for an incredible 1/3 the calories!

Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment