Friday, November 2, 2012

Sugar-Free Orange Spiced Cranberry Applesauce

 
(phone photo)

I saw that apples were on sale this week so I wanted to use up some of my older apples.
Warning: I don't use recipes often... I normally wing everything, so the recipe below is my best guess of the quantities I used.

First off, there are many easier ways to make applesauce, and one of them includes preparing it in the microwave.  I love being hands-on in the kitchen, so I made it in a large saucepan, pulling out all the stops.

Ingredients:
5 apples (I used a combination of granny smith and fuji because that's what I had), diced large
2 tbs raisins
1/4 cup cranberries (or just use your favorite cranberry sauce)
1/2 fresh vanilla bean
orange
2 cinnamon sticks
2 green cardamom pods
3 star anise
5 whole cloves
1/2 tsp allspice (use 1 tsp whole allspice cloves if you have them)
10 tsp sugar substitute
lemon juice
1" finger of ginger, peeled
water
1 tsp flax seeds (optional... they don't add flavor, just nutrients and texture)

Step 1:
Use vegetable peeler to peel off 3 slices of rind and zest remaining orange. Squeeze the juice of one half into a large saucepan (it wouldn't hurt to squeeze the whole thing, but I ended up only using half). Add 1/4 cup water to pan and turn to medium heat.

Step 2:
Make bouquet garni of: cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods (crushed), star anise, cloves, allspice (only if you used whole cloves), ginger (peeled and cut a couple times), orange peel. Tie with kitchen twine and toss into covered saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes to let the spices do their thing.

Step 3:
Add the fresh cranberries.  Once cranberries have burst, add diced apples, raisins, vanilla bean (split and scraped), orange zest, flax seeds, sugar substitute and 1 tsp lemon juice.  Simmer until raisins are plump and apples are medium tender. Mash with potato masher until desired consistency.  If there is not enough liquid for you, add more and maybe use a cornstarch slurry to thicken if desired.  Use sugar substitute and lemon juice to taste. I had less Granny Smiths than Fuji's, so I used more lemon juice to keep the tart balance.

If you use ground spices instead of whole, add them in with the apples. Adjust any seasonings to taste with ground spices.  Discard bouquet garni and cool.  I actually think this recipe tastes better cold than hot.

Yields approximately 30 oz.


What else to do with it?
  • Jar it and give away as gifts
  • Add your favorite extract for a new flavor
  • Add in other berries (cherries, blueberries, etc)
  • Heat and serve with pork topped with toasted chopped walnuts or almonds
  • Heat and top with vanilla ice cream and cookie crumbles!




No comments:

Post a Comment