Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chinese (chicken) noodle salad

This is one of my favorites.  My mom first made it when I was in 6th grade for an "international day" at school.  It was a huge hit.  I forgot about it for years but in college she brought up this dish and I could not wait to try it out.

I often make a whole pound of it and it will last us a few days.  It works best with angel hair pasta in my opinion.

Recipe:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1 tbl mirin (if you don't have it just skip it or use a tad more sugar)
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp-1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1-2 cans chopped or sliced water chestnuts

1 cup (or so) snow peas, sliced
1 cup diced chicken
1 lb angel hair pasta

crushed peanuts and scallions to garnish

*boil pasta. While that is cooking, mix all ingredients (except peas, water chestnuts, chicken, peanuts and scallions) together and put in fridge. Once pasta is done, drain and cool. 

Blanch snow peas in hot water until bright green (about 1 minute)
Cook chicken however you like (bake, sautee, etc) and let it cool (best is to have it cooked ahead of time and waiting in the fridge

Mix cool pasta with sauce, peas, chestnuts, and chicken. It's best to cool it for a while (it's a cold dish) but if you can't wait, top with scallions and peanuts and dig in!
*the sauce quickly settles to the bottom, so mix frequently and before serving.



please note- I used thin spaghetti for this photo because I did not have angel hair


I have not been making this with chicken, so I just leave it out or add more snow peas.  I hope you try this one!  It's great for next-day lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment