Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Risotto

How Joe and I often choose to do dinner is by what we feel like that day.  It's not the best way to do it honestly, because we cannot shop for sales.  Plus, Whole Foods has great quality food, but it is not cheap!  Joe will often go out for a walk and pick up anything we need for dinner that we do not already have.

One day I decided to make risotto, something I've never made before.  I did not have arborio rice but I had orzo and I thought that would be fine.  Asparagus risotto with chicken was the plan (I'm exploring vegetarianism a bit, so mine would not have chicken in it).  But while Joe was out I thought about salmon if it was cheap.

I used chicken stock (I'm not a strict vegetarian), and blanched the asparagus in the stock so it would have the most flavor while using it in the risotto.  I used half an onion, diced fine, and sauteed it in butter until soft.  I also included thyme.  

In went the orzo and I stirred it until it was chalky.  I then deglazed the pan with half cup of white wine and waited until it was absorbed to start adding the hot stock about a cup at a time, stirring almost constantly over medium heat, until the orzo was cooked.  Stir in about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan and it's done.

Between stirring in the stock, I prepared the salmon.  They did not scale it at Whole Foods, so I ended up skinning it.  Salt and pepper, pan fried about 2 minutes per side.


It was incredible and I believe Joe said it was the best thing I've made.  I hastily took the photo because I wanted to eat! It is a nice way to make a healthy, creamy-ish pasta dish without adding cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment