Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Crab Rangoon and Bonito Risotto

I decided to make crab rangoon after watching Ming Tsai make lemongrass and lobster rangoon.  I had some Cape Cod blue crab left and was in the mood.  They were pretty good but I would make some changes next time.  Joe doesn't like them too cream cheese-y.  But I like it with lots of cream cheese.  Joe also does not like crab much, so I wanted to make a good balance for him.

8 oz cream cheese
8 oz crab meat (I ended up using about 10 oz, and I think next time I will use 7 oz)
water chestnuts, diced fine
salt and pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 scallions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp red onion, diced fine

I used maybe 2 teaspoonfulls of filling in each wrapper, and I made a couple shapes when I folded them.  I sealed them with egg wash (1 yolk and some water).  I fried them in oil for about 90 seconds.  By the way, they yield 48 rangoons, so I froze what we were not going to cook.

As for the risotto, I stupidly did not taste the broth I cooked with, so it came out WAY too salty, but I will definitely change the recipe here.

Arborio rice
bonito broth (I used a granulated formula mixed with chicken broth, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar... but I would probably use just water next time)
1 cup white wine for deglazing
Broccoli
black pepper
1 shallot, diced fine
1 clove garlic, minced
grated parmesan cheese

I made it just like any other risotto- but I chose a bonito flavor because I was making crab rangoon... Asian and Asian.  Bonito broth has the flavor of most tempura dipping sauce or Japanese fried tofu sauce- for those of you who do not know what I am talking about.  I always used to put the sauce on my rice and that is what inspired this dish.  I wanted to bulk up the veggies so I added broccoli.

Here are some photos.


I hope you try these recipes because they were great- and if you use my changes they'll be much tastier for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment