Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rest In Peace, Paw Paw

I have been "away" for a while.  My grandmother passed last month and I was at the mercy of the family's schedule.  It was not so much unexpected as unwanted.  

She lived a great life, full of more experiences than most people could hope for.  I am unsure, but she was somewhere around 93 years old.  She came from China during the war, with her husband and son, and they made their life in New York with four more children.

I was never able to speak with her because I could not speak Chinese and she could speak very little English.  But I adored her and she made me proud of who I am.  She gave me my Chinese name and she gave me the passion to cook.  She was so loved.  Her three living children, ten grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren will miss her.

She is with her husband now, finally, after about 30 years apart.  As well as with her two daughters, taking care of them all.

Rest In Peace, Paw Paw.  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment