Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Cooked Brownie Mix"

A MUST-TRY!

Okay so it's no Valentines' Day special recipe, but I have a love/hate with cooked brownie mix and I have to share.

Truly a love/love relationship, but I hate that I could end up eating too much if I'm not careful!

The idea started a few years ago when I wanted brownie mix.  Not brownies- but the fudgy, gooey, fill-your-mouth-with-joy batter.  However, I did not like the idea of the raw eggs in there.  My solution: cooked brownie mix.  And it could not be simpler:

Start with your favorite box of brownie mix.  Whatever the box calls for you'll need, except in a different order.
i.e. eggs, oil, water, box mix
Over a double boiler, add eggs and a pinch of granulated sugar.  It's not about making it sweet- it's about having an abrasive that helps emulsify the eggs.  (**Carefully monitor the heat because we do not want the eggs to scramble but rather become a kind of loose custard-like mixture**)  With a whisk, beat/mix the eggs until they are very warm to the touch.  There will be a point where they thicken quickly.  Take the bowl off the heat and mix mix mix so no lumps form.  I'd say this process takes approximately 2-3 minutes.

Once the eggs are cooked, add in everything else the box calls for, including the cocoa mix and stir until incorporated.  Put mixture into the fridge until ready to use.  It stays quite a while but I haven't had it for much more than a week because even Joe likes it!

Here's the best part: "reverse lava cake" as I like to call it.  Simply scoop out a few rounded tablespoons of the cold mix into a microwave safe bowl, and in 20-30 seconds the middle fluffs up into a cakey brownie while the outside is melted into a fudge sauce.  Irresistible with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Guests would never know it was just brownie mix!

The next time I make it I'll take photos. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment