Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lettuce wraps

My mom first made it with ground pork.  We've done it with turkey as well.

Because of my kind-of vegetarianism, I enjoy it with fake meat "crumbles".
Morningstar has a great product that tastes like ground beef, and that's what I use in this recipe.

I cannot think of exact amounts so bear with me... you really can't mess this up.

Ingredients:
1lb ground meat of choice
1 can water chestnuts (diced fine)
1/2 c. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. minced ginger
1 sliced scallion
1 head iceberg lettuce, cut in half, core removed and leaves separated

Garnishes:
Crushed or ground peanuts
julienned carrots
Other toppings your guests might like: braised tofu (recipe here), fried chinese noodles

Brown meat in sesame oil
Add water chestnuts and ginger
Mix in the sauces (hoisin, vinegar, worcestershire) until coated and cook 1 minute
Toss in scallion and mix

Lettuce leaves make excellent wrappers. Let guests fill them with meat and toppings of their choice.
I did not have carrots in this photo. Shown in the photo is the tofu as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment